Top-Notch Crawl Space Repair Services
Older homes without basements or homes not built on a concrete slab often have crawl spaces as part of their foundation. If you have one, you may be using your crawl space as storage for rarely used items. This is a bad idea if your crawl space doesn’t have proper flooring and only have exposed soil.
Exposed soil in a crawl space brings in moisture, which combines with the humidity from the crawl space vents and water trickling through permeable concrete. Once moisture and humidity in your crawl space combine, this promotes mold and mildew growth. All that mold and mildew can spread to your stored items and insulation material and circulate through your vents, triggering allergies among occupants of the home.
But the most serious problem mold and mildew may cause is the rotting and sagging of your wooden floors and floor joists, leading to the destruction of your foundation.
Pooled water in your crawl space can also be a problem; if this happens, your crawl space may become a breeding ground for mosquitoes and other pests.
The Warning Signs
The most obvious sign that your crawl space needs repairs is when the floors begin to sag. There are other signs, however. These include:
- Mold or moisture damage in the crawl space
- Musty odor in living areas
- High humidity in living areas
- Condensation on A/C ducts or equipment
- Condensation on water pipes
- Condensation on insulation
- Insect infestation
- Uneven floors
- Wood rot on floor framing
Repair Methods for Sagging Crawl Spaces
Most homeowners don’t notice any problems in their crawl spaces until their floors show signs of sagging or moisture penetration. Van Matre Construction, LLC offers repair services that keep moisture from entering your crawl space and prevent wood rot and sagging:
- Joist Reinforcement – Sometimes, joists can’t simply be replaced because they support most of the floor’s weight. Fixing them can prove to be more costly and time-consuming. The answer to joist damage is to reinforce them. An additional, identical joist called a “sister joist” is installed alongside an existing joist to assist in bearing its load.
- Crawl Space Encapsulation – This is the process of cleaning out a damp, moldy crawl space, and sealing it to prevent moisture penetration. This service includes the installation of crawl space vapor barriers, a dehumidifier, drainage system, crawl space vent covers, insulation, and crawl space access portals. We completely seal off and dehumidify your crawl space to prevent any more moisture from causing wood rot beneath your floors and on floor joists.
- French Drains – This is a supplementary service that works with the other crawl space repairs. Installing a French drain may be necessary if we find that water is seeping into your crawl space from the surrounding soil. With a French drain, you can redirect water away from your crawl space, preventing it from pooling and allowing mold and mildew to grow, or pests to move in.
Why Choose Us as Your Crawl Space Repair Contractor
Van Matre Construction, LLC has been fixing foundation issues in Denver, Colorado since 2001. Your home’s crawl space is another kind of foundation, and assessing foundation issues, then recommending and executing the needed repairs is our specialty. We know all about the particular soil conditions in the state, how it impacts your crawl space, and how to fix these issues.
With our years of experience, we know which repair methods and equipment work best. We quickly determine the root cause of your crawl space problems. Our experience and expertise lets us offer the services you need at a competitive price.
For cost-effective foundation solutions like crawl space repair, contact us today.